The first time I made this creamy mushroom pie was years ago for a Pi Day celebration with friends (pi = 3.14 = March 14…get it?). Up until this point in my baking experience, I’ve only made sweet pies and tarts. For this event, I wanted to try to create a savory pie.
Wanting to create a hearty, satisfying filling, I decided to try a mushroom base with a cream sauce. This recipe uses mostly white button mushrooms with shiitake mushrooms to add flavor and texture. Other mushrooms such as portobello and oyster mushrooms would work as well.
The sauce comes together with ingredients you probably have in your fridge. Olive oil, onions, garlic and butter to give the sauce a rich flavor. I know a lot of other cream sauces use cream, but I usually don’t have cream in the fridge, so I used cream cheese. It melts in with the mushrooms into a nice thick sauce.
Creamy Mushroom Pie: Recipe Instruction
Heat up the olive oil in the sauce pan. Add the onions and garlic and stir until it begins to soften.
Add the butter to the pan. If the garlic or onions begin to brown too much, turn down the heat.
Once the butter melts completely, add the mushrooms and mix together until the mushrooms are softened.
Add the cream cheese to the mushrooms and mix together. As the cream cheese heats up, it melts and turns into a smooth cream sauce.
Once the cream cheese has completely melted, add the shredded cheese and mix together.
Once the cheese melts into the sauce, add salt and pepper to taste.
While the mushroom filling is cooling down, it’s time prepare your pie crust. You can either make your own pie crust or use store bought. Once your pie crust is ready, pour the filling into the crust and add a lattice top.
An egg wash help give that golden brown color on the top of the pie. To make the egg wash, add a tablespoon of water to one egg yolk and mix together. Use a pastry brush to brush onto the top of the pie.
Place into an oven at 375°F for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Let the pie cool down for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
Creamy Mushroom Pie
- 1 medium onion
- 4-5 cloves of garlic – minced
- 2 lb white mushrooms – sliced
- 1 lb shitake mushrooms – sliced – feel free to substitute with other types of mushrooms
- 125 grams cream cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese – grated
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg yolk – optional: for egg wash
- 2 Pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Over medium heat in a saucepan, add olive oil, onions and garlic and saute until onions are softened
- Add mushrooms, mix with onions/garlic. Stir often until mushrooms are tender
- Add cream cheese to the mix. Break up and stir until all the cream cheese bits are melted
- Add grated cheese, then salt and pepper to taste
- Pour filling into pie crust, cover with a lattice work and coat with egg wash
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until top is golden brown